The philosophy of the Long Beach City College Child Development and Educational Studies Department is reflected appropriately in each program throughout the Department.
- There is interconnectedness between children, family, and the community.
- Children, families, and communities are greatly enhanced by positive interpersonal relationships and high quality environments throughout life.
- Each adult and child is valuable as an individual, capable of reaching his or her potential, when supported and encouraged by best practices.
- Learning occurs through active participation, which honors the process as well as the product in a developmentally appropriate environment.
The vision of the Child Development and Educational Studies Department at Long Beach City College is that all programs and services enhance the quality of life for children, families, and students throughout the community while supporting and embracing diversity, self-esteem, individual potential, and community partnerships.
As part of the Child Development and Educational Studies Department at Long Beach City College, the Child Development Centers and Learning Labs are committed to enhancing the quality of life for students, children, and families throughout the life span. Embracing the diversity each student brings, the Department strives to empower individual learners through personal and professional growth. To fulfill this mission we will:
- Model best practices based on current research, technology, and theory in the early childhood education field.
- Provide students with opportunities for life-long learning.
- Provide training for individuals seeking careers working with children and families.
- Provide appropriate and effective models of communication and interaction amid the diverse populations we serve.
- Promote effective parenting practices through education.
- Provide high quality early childhood classroom experiences for young children based on developmentally appropriate practices.