Admissions Requirements

Who May Attend:

  • High school graduates or
  • Persons in possession of a California high school proficiency certificate or GED or
  • Persons 18 years of age or older who can benefit from the instruction or
  • High school/K-12 students who qualify for dual enrollment or
  • International Students with a valid Visa

Residence Requirements

All students are classified as either a resident of the State of California or a nonresident when applying for admission. A resident is a student who has lived in the state for more than one year before the beginning of a semester or term (EC 68017), based on the “Residency Determination Date” which is the day immediately preceding the opening of instruction. This definition applies to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and persons holding certain visas that allow for residence.

A nonresident is a student who has not established residence in the State of California for one year as of the residency determination date.

Persons who are 18 years of age or older establish residency in accordance with EC 68017 above. Adult residency begins after the 18th birthday. Persons who are under 18 years of age establish residence in accordance with the above “resident” definition and the following:

A minor child’s residence is the home of the parent with whom the minor child lives. When the minor lives with neither parent, the residence is that of the parent with whom the minor last lived. The minor may establish residence of their own when both parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed.

The residency of unmarried minors who have a living parent cannot be changed by their own acts, appointment of legal guardians, or relinquishment of a parent’s right of control (EC 68062). Married minors may establish their own residence.

Exceptions apply under certain conditions to active members of the military and their dependents.

Noncitizen Students: Students with a “permanent resident” visa, refugee status, or amnesty approval may establish residency in accordance with the college’s residence requirements. All visas must be examined by the college to determine residency status.

New and returning students who feel they have been incorrectly classified in their resident status or continuing students who now meet the residence requirements must submit a residency appeal to the Admissions & Records Office. Residency appeals must be filed within 30 calendar days after notification of the applicant’s residency status. Continuing students must submit the residency appeal no later than the third week of the semester to meet the resident’s requirements.

The above statements on residence are not intended to include all of the laws governing residence. The full text of the laws is presented in the California Education Code, available in the college library at both campuses.